Friday, July 20, 2007

The Red Pearl Kitchen


On Monday Matt, Lena, and I went to a place on Melrose called The Red Pearl Kitchen. It was quite amazing. The website has a full menu, including prices if you want to check it out. It's very dim sum-esque: we shared five dishes between the three of us, but there are single dishes big enough to get the average person full. By 'average person' I mean 'not Matt'. The kobe beef was amazing. It was like heaven in meat form, only more tender and succulent. The reason we went there was because I had been there with my mom about a week before, and when our waitress brought us our receipt it had a stamp on the bottom that said we could bring in the receipt and get %50 off if we came in one of the following two Mondays. So we did, and it was amazing. Given the discount, Lena, Matt, and I had a relatively cheap night of gluttony ($16 a person, including a generous tip for Mr. Voladarsky), but without a discount I would say this restaurant is more appropriate for dinners with visiting parents. However, the atmosphere, or ambiance as it is referred to on the website, is superbly serene and very red, so when you combine that with the great food, it's worth a splurge.


The most memorable dishes I had with my mom were Duck-Banana Lettuce Warps and Eggplant Tempura with Spicy Tuna, of which the latter is pictured below.

2 comments:

leens said...

and the Chicken & mango fried rice was mighty good. And Sonya, if you're giving me away for marriage, at least spell my name right :-P and it's not my fault that we live in a city where all the waiters are actually wannabe-actors and therefore damn attractive
and and and

sonya said...

Oh, oops, sorry. I TOTALLY do know how to spell your name, I swear.