Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Yai, More Thai


As much as the basil eggplant tofu at Thai Patio rocks my socks off, I decided it was time to explore the other options in Thai town. That and Yelping is just soooooo much fun and you find so many places to try.
Yai is an absolute hole-in-the-wall establishment, sharing a tiny lot with 7-Eleven (but don't park in their spaces, I hear you can get ticketed). There is plenty of street parking or even spots in front of Yai. You're certainly not coming here for ambiance, but the food is worthwhile, and goes great for takeout. Service is efficient and they are very helpful if you are torn between choices.
We got the Crispy Pork with Greens on Rice, which was tasty but not super adventurous. I mean, I absolutely wish I could get pork to be that crispy and succulent at home, but I suppose that when I'm craving Thai I want a little more bang and spice. Also, the ratio seemed to favor the rice more than the pork and greens.
We also got the Noodles with Ground Beef and Chili. This was wonderful- spicy, flavorful and had a nice amount of vegetables in it as well. We got it medium spicy, so I can only imagine that my ears would steam if it was any hotter.
The prices are low as to be expected so feel free to try something new, and I'll write more when I go back to try other things.

5757 Hollywood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028
(323) 462-0292
http://www.yelp.com/biz/yai-restaurant-los-angeles

1 comment:

LKA said...

have you tried Tom Yum Soup? it's a staple at Thai places, and I have yet to find a Thai restaurant that screwed this up. it's the perfect blend of sweet and sour flavor in a tomato-ish broth, combined with vegetables, mushrooms, meat (if you want), etc. one time I just ordered soup as my meal. try it!